New Student Orientation
Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
Welcome to Reynolds!
Your educational journey starts with the New Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) process. This 3-step approach prepares you for fall semester. Students should:
1. View Online Orientation. At the end of online Orientation, you will be able to schedule an on-campus orientation, called SOAR.
2. Attend SOAR at the Parham Road Campus (PRC), Downtown Campus (DTC) or Goochland Campus (GC). SOAR sessions last approximately 3-4 hours.
3. Attend the Jump Start program the week before fall classes start so you can take a campus tour, get your Student ID, and obtain your parking permit. Jump Start will be held on August 16 at the Parham Road Campus and on August 17 at the Downtown Campus between the hours of 11am and 1pm. Students who attend SOAR will receive a reminder e-mail about Jump Start one week prior to the event.
New students seeking assistance for summer classes, should see an advisor in one of the Enrollment Services Centers.
At on-campus SOAR, which is the second step in our 3-step Orientation process, you will:
- Learn how to navigate your Student Center
- Have your placement test results interpreted
- Receive a recommended set of classes from an advisor
- Create a fall schedule
- Learn about Reynolds resources and policies
Before you attend on-campus SOAR:
- Apply to the College. If you did not put your social security number on your college application and you plan to receive financial aid, please bring your social security card and a state issued photo ID with you to SOAR.
- Set up your username and password, including the required security questions, in MyREYNOLDS.
- Study for and take your placement tests. In some cases, students can be exempt from taking placement tests. The Office of Admissions and Records will review your official high school transcript to determine math placement test waivers. You can also send your official SAT scores to determine a math or English waiver. In many cases, a score of 560+ in critical reading and writing will waive the English portion. In many cases, a score of 550+ will waive the math portion of the placement test.
- Send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- Apply for Financial Aid. If you plan to receive financial aid and did not include your social security number on your college application, bring your social security card and a state-issued photo ID with you to SOAR. Once that information is in the system, financial aid awards can be processed.
- Complete online orientation.
- If you do not have one, obtain a photo ID, which is necessary for placement testing and some MyReynolds password re-sets. A valid state drivers license or state-issued ID is acceptable. Other forms of government issued IDs are acceptable, such as a current passport.
Online Orientation Instructions
Students may register for on-campus SOAR after completing the online Orientation.
It is recommended to view online Orientation in Google Chrome.
When you enter the online Orientation site for the first time, using the link above, follow these steps:
- Click register and complete the registration form.
- Enter you student ID number. This is the 7-digit number you received after you applied to the college.
- You will be at your dashboard. You can start viewing the online orientation from here.
- Watch the videos, read each section, and take the quizzes.
- When you complete online Orientation, do not leave the site, as you will need to stay on it to register for a SOAR date. It will send a certificate of completion to your e-mail inbox. Be prepared to show this certificate of completion at the check-in table for on-campus soar. You may print it out or show it to us on your phone.
- Online orientation provides you with information about academic programs, paying for college, placement tests, placement waivers, registering for classes, financial aid, campus safety, and getting involved in campus life.
Register for a SOAR Date or Change Your Date:
- Register for an on-campus SOAR date at the end of online orientation. On the last slide of online Orientation, there is a link to the SOAR registration site. Click on the SOAR link and complete the questions and registration form. If you encounter problems with registering, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or register here.
- Do you need to change your date? Contact email@example.com with your name, Student ID number, and the date/time you would like to attend.
For your planning purposes, the dates for SOAR are listed below. You must register to attend a session, which you can do at the end of the online orientation. On the registration page, if a session is not listed, it means that the session is closed and you need to choose another date. You should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the program to check-in. Bring your SOAR confirmation, your online-SOAR certificate of completion, your government issued photo ID and Student ID number with you.
Welcome Program Starts at posted time.
Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior for
the check-in process.
|June 17||PRC||9 a.m. Closed|
|June 17||PRC||2 p.m. Closed|
|June 24||DTC||9 a.m. Closed|
|June 24||DTC||2 p.m. Closed|
|July 8||PRC||9 a.m. Closed|
|July 8||PRC||2 p.m. Closed|
|July 12||PRC||6 p.m. Closed|
|July 15||PRC||9 a.m. Closed|
|July 15||PRC||2 p.m. Closed|
|July 18||GC*||4 p.m. Closed|
|July 19||PRC||6 p.m. Closed|
|July 22||DTC||9 a.m. Closed|
|July 22||DTC||2 p.m. Closed|
|July 26||PRC||6 p.m. Closed|
|July 27||GC*||4 p.m. Closed|
|July 29||PRC||9 a.m. Closed|
|July 29||PRC||2 p.m. Closed|
|August 2||PRC||6 p.m.|
|August 5||DTC||9 a.m.|
|August 5||DTC - Veterans||9 a.m.**|
|August 5||DTC||2 p.m.|
|August 5||DTC - Veterans||2 p.m.**|
|August 9||DTC||6 p.m.|
|August 9||DTC - Veterans||6 p.m.**|
|August 12||DTC||9 a.m.|
|August 12||DTC||2 p.m.|
*Students who attend a Goochland session should be in one of the following programs: Automotive Technology, Diesel Mechanics Technology, Floral Design, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, Welding.
**These sessions are for students receiving military education benefits.
Check-in Table Locations:
Parham Road Campus (PRC): Massey Library Technology Center main lobby
Downtown Campus (DTC): 1st floor main lobby
Goochland Campus (GC): Main lobby
Check-in Table Times. Students must check in within the allotted time to be advised:
Tuesday evenings: 5:15 p.m. - 5:55 p.m.
Friday Mornings: 8:15 a.m. - 8:55 a.m.
Friday Afternoons: 1:15 p.m. - 1:55 p.m.
Goochland sessions: 3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.
At check-in, we will verify your program of interest (such as Nursing, Engineering, or Paralegal Studies), you will be given an information packet, and you will check your username and password in MyReynolds.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting you at SOAR!