New Student Orientation
SOAR: New Student Orientation, Advising and Registration
New students must attend a SOAR session to register for fall classes. If you are a parent and have questions, visit Resources for Parents.
SOAR is a two-hour program for new students that focuses on the nuts and bolts of registering for fall classes. Sessions are held at the Parham Road Campus and Downtown Campus. Students can attend SOAR at either campus even if they will take most or all of their classes at one campus.
There is a session at the Goochland Campus for specific programs: Automotive Technology, Diesel Mechanics Technology, Floral Design, Horticulture Technology, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, and Welding.
1. Submit an application for admission at www.reynolds.edu
2. Take the placement tests at one of the campus Testing Centers. If you do not take the placement tests one week prior to your SOAR session, you will not be able to be properly advised for your fall classes. For Testing Center locations, visit www.reynolds.edu/testing.
3. Set up your username and password in MyREYNOLDS.
4. Have you applied for financial aid? www.fafsa.ed.gov
5. Bring your username, password and EMPL ID# with you to SOAR.
6. Submit your official high school transcripts to Reynolds before SOAR.
At SOAR you will:
- Check-in at the Massey Building lobby at the Parham Road Campus, Downtown Campus lobby, or Building C20 at the Goochland Campus.
- Confirm your username and password with a Student Ambassador.
- Report to an assigned classroom to be advised in a group setting.
- Learn how to navigate the Student Information System.
- Register for fall classes with the suggested class list provided to you by an advisor.
- Leave with a class schedule.
- One guest may accompany his/her student to SOAR. Seating is limited in the advising classrooms and guests may have to wait for students outside the classroom if there are no seats available, due to fire codes. Guests who are permitted into the rooms must sit at the back of the classroom in designated chairs. Students sit at computer terminals.
Summer 2015 SOAR Dates
Students must register for a SOAR date. Registration for SOAR will begin in mid-May at this site.
Check-in begins 30 minutes before each session. At the Downtown Campus (DTC), check-in tables are located in the lobby. At the Parham Road Campus (PRC), the check-in tables are located in the Massey Library Technology Center. At the Goochland Campus, check-in tables are located in the lobby of building C20.
SOAR will be held on the following dates and locations:
Check-in begins 30 minutes prior to each session
|Monday, July 13||10am-noon||PRC|
|Monday, July 13||2-4pm||PRC|
|Tuesday, July 14||10am-noon||PRC|
|Tuesday, July 14||2-4pm||PRC|
|Thursday, July 16||10am-noon||PRC|
|Friday, July 17||10am-noon||DTC|
|Monday, July 20||10am-noon||PRC|
|Monday, July 20||2-4pm||PRC|
|Wednesday, July 22||2-4pm||PRC|
|Wednesday, July 22||6-8pm||PRC|
|Thursday, July 23||2-4pm||DTC|
|Thursday, July 23||6-8pm||DTC|
|Friday, July 24||10am-noon||DTC|
|Friday, July 24||2-4pm||DTC|
|Monday, July 27||10am-noon||DTC|
|Tuesday, July 28||10am-noon||PRC|
|Thursday, July 30||10am-noon||PRC|
|Friday, July 31||10am-noon||PRC|
|Monday, August 3||10am-noon||PRC|
|Monday, August 3||2-4pm||PRC|
|Tuesday, August 4||2-4pm||PRC|
|Tuesday, August 4||6-8pm||PRC|
|Thursday, August 6||2-4pm||DTC|
|Thursday, August 6||6-8pm||DTC|
|Friday, August 7||10am-noon||DTC|
|Friday, August 7||2-4pm||DTC|
Goochland date to be announced soon.