Students outside Bookstore


Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits

Qualifying veterans and dependents are eligible to receive educational benefits while attending J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. The Veteran Advisor will assist you in using your VA benefits by certifying enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. We also provide information regarding certain procedural requirements and other processes relevant to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Those interested in obtaining these benefits must follow the instructions below and submit all required documentation at least 30 days prior to the first day of the term the student is planning to enroll. 

Before you proceed:

  1. Apply to Reynolds.
  2. Apply for financial aid.
  3. Take necessary placement tests.
  4. Apply for Veteran’s benefits. Visit  

Individuals must apply for VA educational benefits online through or by mailing the paper forms to:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Reminder: New applicants should expect an average time of approximately 6-8 weeks for VA to process their applications.

It is the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to approve applications and to make decisions regarding payment, issuance of checks, and eligibility. Beneficiaries who have questions regarding payment or eligibility should contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.Reynolds does not participate in Advance or Accelerated pay. It is the student’s responsibility to pay for all classes (i.e. financial aid, Nelnet payment plan, or out of pocket). Veteran’s benefits are provided only after courses have been paid for and enrollment has been verified after the drop/add period of each term.


Veteran's Services Information

Veteran's Services information

 *Script is included on “Notes” tab for ADA compliance.


Additional Information:

  • A certification request form must be submitted by all VA education beneficiaries to the Veteran Advisor each semester. Submitting this form indicates that you plan to attend and want to use your GI Bill benefits. Without this form, we cannot notify the VA of your enrollment. This form must be submitted online.
  • Those applying for benefits for the first time will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA when your application has been approved. Your COE states your benefit chapter, your VA file number and the amount of time you have to use your benefits.
  • Army College Fund (or Kicker): The Veteran Advisor (Certifying Officials) does not report the kicker, only the Montgomery GI Bill benefit. If you opted for this benefit at the time of your enlistment, you will automatically receive an additional amount included with your VA monthly stipend. However, if you are Active Duty or are a veteran enrolled at less than half-time and your tuition and fees are less than your monthly MGIB benefit with the kicker, you will be limited to the total amount of your tuition and fees. If you haven’t received the kicker and think you should, please contact the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.
  • Tuition Assistance (Top Up): Active Duty members may use their GI Bill in conjunction with tuition assistance. This program allows the VA to pay the difference between the total course cost and the cost covered by your military branch, up to a maximum rate determined by the VA. If you are receiving 100% tuition assistance for a course, you would not be eligible for Top Up. Using Top Up reduces your GI Bill entitlement. This program is handled through the Bursar’s Office but you must first apply through your unit.

Attention: Important Information regarding changes to all VA Benefits, please visit the GI Bill website.

  • To determine if you can get transfer credit for military service, please visit for Army, Army Reserves, and National Guard and for Navy and Marines and request an official transcript.
You may request copies of your DD-214 and other military records by visiting